See all of the programs for Florida ag producers affected by the destruction of Hurricane Ian.
Hurricane Ian has caused a tremendous amount of destruction in Florida, and those in the ag industry are dealing with a lot. Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried shared programs for ag producers affected by Hurricane Ian, according to a Citrus Industry article. See the details below.
Programs for Ag Producers
According to the article, Commissioner Fried is “urging producers to report losses as soon as possible to maintain eligibility in crop insurance programs.”
Programs available include:
- “Producers who suffer losses and whose crops are covered for the 2021 crop year by the Federal Crop Insurance Program or the Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) are asked to report crop damage to their crop insurance agent or local FSA office, respectively, within 72 hours of discovering damage and follow up in writing within 15 days.”
- “USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service can provide financial resources through its Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) to help with immediate needs and long-term support to help recover from natural disasters and conserve water resources.”
Those offered by USDA’s Farm Service Agency (FSA) include:
- The Livestock Indemnity Program and the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybee and Farm-raised Fish Program reimburses producers for a portion of the value of livestock, poultry and other animals that were killed or severely injured by a natural disaster or loss of feed and grazing acres.
- The Tree Assistance Program provides cost share assistance to rehabilitate or replant orchards and vineyards when storms kill or damage the trees, vines or bushes. NAP or Federal Crop Insurance often only covers the crop and not the plant.
- The Emergency Conservation Program and Emergency Forest Restoration Program can assist landowners and forest stewards with financial and technical assistance to restore damaged farmland or forests.
Griffin Fertilizer is committed to helping both growers and ranchers make sound agronomic and economic decisions in order to maximize the health of their grove and pasture. As a full-service custom dry & liquid fertilizer blender and crop protection product distributor, we will continue our mission to further advance Florida agriculture. For questions or concerns about your farm or pasture, contact us and one of our team will be in touch.