Get the jump on summer weeds with this advice on summer weed management for Florida citrus growers from a UF/IFAS assistant professor.
UF/IFAS assistant professor, Ramdas Kanissery, shared tips for summer week management at a presentation on weed control for citrus. Kanissery maintained that the summer months are “a field day for weeds,” in a Citrus Industry article. See the details below.
Summer Weed Management Tips
The following advice was from the article on summer weed management tips:
- “Learn about suggested herbicides in the weeds section of the 2022-23 Florida Citrus Production Guide.”
- “The efficacy of post-emergent systemic herbicides is reduced when temperatures are above 90 degrees. Kanissery recommended avoiding spraying 2,4-D products when temperatures are higher than 90 degrees because the potential for herbicide injury is high then.”
- “Avoiding glyphosate sprays close to harvest for Valencia oranges may improve yield safety.”
- “Cover crops in row middles suppress weed growth, in addition to providing other benefits.”
- “Achieve adequate coverage on weed foliage; optimum spray volume is the key.
- Use optimum rates; use high-labeled rates for heavy weed infestation and for weeds in a mature growth stage.
- Use an appropriate surfactant to improve herbicide retention, coverage and efficacy.
- Use suggested adjuvants.
- Rotate post-emergent herbicides with different modes of action to reduce selection pressure on weed populations and to help manage weed tolerance.
- Apply when there is ample sunlight. Midday applications generally provide higher levels of efficacy than early-morning and late-afternoon applications.
- Spray when there is low wind.
- Apply when weeds are non-stressed, actively growing and in an early growth stage.”
- “Apply residual herbicides to bare soil for maximum soil incorporation.
- Turn on irrigation to activate residual herbicides in the soil.
- Include a compatible post-emergent tank-mix partner if there is already some weed growth.
- Tank-mix pre-emergent herbicides with different modes of action to increase the spectrum of weed control and to reduce tolerance/resistance issues.”
Griffin Fertilizer is committed to helping both growers and ranchers make sound agronomic and economic decisions in order to maximize the health of their grove and pasture. As a full-service custom dry & liquid fertilizer blender and crop protection product distributor, we will continue our mission to further advance Florida agriculture. For questions or concerns about your farm or pasture, contact us and one of our team will be in touch.