As Hurricane Season is upon us, see recommendations for preparing your ag or livestock operation for a hurricane.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predicted an above-average hurricane season this year, with 14 to 21 named storms and three to six major storms predicted. Whether or not a major storm hits The Sunshine State this year or not, it’s always a good idea to be prepared for a storm. The Atlantic Hurricane Season starts June 1st, so it’s time to get prepared now if you haven’t already done so. See recommendations from UF/IFAS for preparing your ag or livestock operation for Hurricane Season below.
Preparing Your Ag or Livestock Operation for a Hurricane
UF/IFAS recommendations for preparing your ag or livestock operation for a hurricane include:
- “Create a printed list of extended family, veterinarian, employees and their families, your local farm services agency office, utility company and local county Extension office.
- Purchase batteries for flashlights and lanterns. Have enough flashlights ready for each employee. June 1 to 7 is the state’s designated week for hurricane prep tax-free shopping. This would be a great time to stock up on supplies.
- Stock up on feed for animals receiving supplemental feeds. Don’t forget the cat and dog food. Have enough hay, feed and health-care supplies on hand for one to two weeks. Feed stores may not be open for business for a week or more after a storm.
- Check to ensure generators are ready and in working order for livestock operations that rely on electricity for milking parlors, chicken houses, wells for watering livestock and electric fence chargers.
- Make sure chainsaws are in good working order and stock up on mixed fuel.
- Locate chains and come-a-long for limb and tree movement off fences and buildings.
- Stock up on fence repair materials: wire, posts and staples for repairing fences damaged by limbs and trees.”
Griffin Fertilizer is committed to helping both growers and ranchers make sound agronomic and economic decisions in order to maximize the health of their grove and pasture. As a full-service custom dry & liquid fertilizer blender and crop protection product distributor, we will continue our mission to further advance Florida agriculture. For questions or concerns about your farm or pasture, contact us and one of our team will be in touch.