Nominations for the Agricultural-Environmental Leadership Award are being accepted by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services by April 1st.
The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is accepting nominations for the next Agricultural-Environmental Leadership Award winner. The office of Ag Commissioner Nicole “Nikki”Fried issued a press release calling for nominations. The award has been given since 1994, and it’s given to “recognize environmentally innovative Florida growers and ranchers.” See the details.
Details of the Agricultural-Environmental Leadership Award
According to the press release, “The award recognizes agricultural producers who demonstrate leadership in developing and implementing progressive techniques to safeguard the environment and conserve natural resources.”
The following are environmental practices that will be taken into consideration in choosing the award winner:
- Wildlife protection and Habitat Conservation: Provide a safe, vibrant habitat for wildlife within an agricultural operation.
- Pesticide/Nutrient Management: Use pesticides/nutrients responsibly, maximizing benefits and minimizing potential adverse environmental effects.
- Water Quality: Preserve or improve water quality within or adjacent to an agricultural operation.
- Soil and Water Conservation: Reduce soil erosion, nutrient depletion and water consumption, and enhance water recharge.
- Waste Management/Recycling: Reduce waste by recycling agricultural by-products and waste products on site.
“The commitment of Florida’s farmers and ranchers to preserve our state’s precious natural resources ensures that our environmental and agricultural roots will thrive for future generations,” Commissioner Fried said.
Griffin Fertilizer is committed to helping both growers and ranchers make sound agronomic and economic decisions in order to maximize the health of their grove and pasture. As a full-service custom dry & liquid fertilizer blender and crop protection product distributor, we will continue our mission to further advance Florida agriculture. For questions or concerns about your farm or pasture, contact us and one of our team will be in touch.