A fourth Florida grower-fertilizer service provider has been honored as a winner of the Fertilizer Institute’s 4R Advocate Award.
Griffin Fertilizer was honored when we and our grower partner were one of five partnerships to be awarded the Fertilizer Institute’s 4R Advocate Award in 2018, a national award. This year’s award winners include another Florida-based duo, Plant City’s Dustin and Carl Grooms of Fancy Farms and their fertilizer service provider, Jerrod Parker of Chemical Dynamics, according to a Vegetable and Specialty Crop News article. The 4R Advocate Award is given to “recognize agricultural retailers and agricultural producers that are leading the way when it comes to implementing 4R nutrient stewardship on the farm.” Join us in congratulating this partnership on representing the environmental commitment of Florida ag.
About the 4R Advocate Award Winners
Fancy Farms started in Plant City with just 15 acres of strawberries by Carl and Dee Grooms. The operation now boasts of 170 acres, with Dustin Grooms, Carl and Dee’s son, taking over the family business in 2007.
According to an article by The Fertilizer Institute, Fancy Farms utilizes the following “Best Practices” in adhering to the 4Rs of using the Right source, at the Right rate, at the Right time, and in the Right place:
- Zone soil sampling to accurately determine crop need.
- Variable-rate nutrient application to accurately apply nutrients.
- Includes nutrient and cover crop credits to help determine application rate.
- Fertigation rates vary based on soil and plant needs.
- Split, liquid application via fertigation throughout the growing season
- In-season nitrogen management tools to more accurately link application rate to crop need during the growing season
- Plant tissue testing is used as a diagnostic tool in-season, at harvest and post-harvest.
- Foliar application, GPS planting and tillage ensures nutrients are delivered in the right place.
Griffin Fertilizer is committed to helping both growers and ranchers make sound agronomic and economic decisions in order to maximize the health of their grove and pasture. As a full-service custom dry & liquid fertilizer blender and crop protection product distributor, we will continue our mission to further advance Florida agriculture. For questions or concerns about your farm or pasture, contact us and one of our team will be in touch.