Meet the latest winners of FDACS’s Florida Agricultural-Environmental Leadership Award for 2021.
Every year, the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) awards the Agricultural-Environmental Leadership Award to recognize those “agricultural producers who demonstrate leadership in developing and implementing innovative techniques to safeguard the environment and conserve natural resources,” according to a Growing Produce article. Meet the latest winners below.
Winners of the Agricultural-Environmental Leadership Award.
The award has been given out since 1994. Excerpts from the article on each winner of the Agricultural-Environmental Leadership Award are as follows:
“Brad Turner with Turner Family Groves, LLC in Lithia
Turner is being recognized for his commitment to promoting soil and tree health through the implementation of regenerative management practices, reducing the need for fertilizer and insecticides, and increasing water retention.”
“Eric Hjort with Tater Farms in Hastings
Hjort is being recognized for his focus on adopting innovative practices to protect water quality and reduce water use by about 50% across 1,500 acres.”
“Sandy Stein with The Jungle Nursery in Homestead
Stein is being recognized for his innovative approach to addressing pest risks to the nursery’s plants by utilizing beneficial insects to control those that would be destructive, opting for biocontrol rather than chemical treatments.”
The article also listed the following considerations for the award:
- “Wildlife protection and Habitat Conservation: Provide a safe, vibrant habitat for wildlife within an agricultural operation.”
- “Pesticide/Nutrient Management: Use pesticides/nutrients responsibly, maximizing benefits and minimizing potential adverse environmental effects.”
- “Water Quality: Preserve or improve water quality within or adjacent to an agricultural operation.”
- “Soil and Water Conservation: Reduce soil erosion, nutrient depletion and water consumption, and enhance water recharge.”
- “Waste Management/Recycling: Reduce waste by recycling agricultural by-products and waste products on site.”
Griffin Fertilizer is committed to helping both growers and ranchers make sound agronomic and economic decisions in order to maximize the health of their grove and pasture. As a full-service custom dry & liquid fertilizer blender and crop protection product distributor, we will continue our mission to further advance Florida agriculture. For questions or concerns about your farm or pasture, contact us and one of our team will be in touch.