Read about the latest research in citrus weed management, shared at a January OJ Break in Lake Alfred, Florida.
A UF/IFAS researcher, Ramdas Kanissery, said at a January OJ Break, “The focus of a citrus weed management program is the tree, not the weeds,” according to a Citrus Industry article. The OJ Break saw the UF/IFAS researcher, Ramdas Kanissery, share updates on citrus weed management research. See them below.
Updates on Citrus Weed Management
According to the article, Kanissery shared the following citrus weed management updates:
- “Weed management helps improve citrus yield.
- Weed control may help management of HLB-spreading psyllids.
- Citrus growers typically spend about 12% to 15% of their production costs on weed control.
- Apply herbicides when there is ample daylight.
- Don’t apply post-emergent herbicides when temperatures are below 60 degrees. Do apply residual herbicides if the label allows it. Avoid spray contact with trees during cold weather, because herbicide injury potential is high then.
- Allow at least 6 hours of dry period after applying herbicides during the rainy season. Generally, rainfall within 6 hours after application may reduce effectiveness.
- If spraying herbicides during hot weather, apply during the cooler part of the day. Efficacy of post-emergent herbicides drops when temperatures are above 95 degrees. The injury potential to the tree is high then.
- Common weeds seen year-round in Florida citrus include Spanish needle, ragweed parthenium, goatweed, Bermuda grass, Guinea grass, dayflower and nutsedge.
- Spray when weeds are young. Never let weeds grow and adapt.
- For tree safety, avoid herbicide spray contact with stems, foliage and fruits.
- Rotate post-emergent herbicides.
- Use the lower end of the herbicide labeled rates during the first year after planting.
- Cover crops offer numerous benefits to growers, including suppressing weed growth.”
Griffin Fertilizer is committed to helping both growers and ranchers make sound agronomic and economic decisions in order to maximize the health of their grove and pasture. As a full-service custom dry & liquid fertilizer blender and crop protection product distributor, we will continue our mission to further advance Florida agriculture. For questions -or concerns about your farm or pasture, contact us and one of our team will be in touch.